About Me

My photo
Navigating life after losing my husband.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Are you a Facebook creeper mom?

Moms hijacked Facebook. It was this really cool site for college students and high schoolers to interact with their friends, and then moms crashed the party.

My daughter said that the day her mother got Facebook was the day she closed her account. True to her word, she did. But that was a few years ago. Now she's in college, and she wants to talk to me and is disappointed if I don't comment on her posts. But this wasn't always the case.

My kids and nephews and nieces have all informed me that moms are out of control on Facebook. They gave me a list of things we do. I added a few of my own. Yeah, it might be true.  Ask yourself if you do any of the following:
  1. Do you regularly look up kids' pages, see what they're up to, and then tell their mothers?
  2. Do you see a bunch of kids commenting on other kids' posts and then put in your two cents?  Like, "Oh, yeah, I've had that problem too. Just eat a few prunes before you leave."
  3. Have you invited kids to be your friends? (I can say I've never done this. I have kids as FB friends, but only when they've invited me. And I don't accept friend requests from kids I barely know...why are they asking a middle-aged mom to be their friend? That's weird.)
  4. Do you spend so much time on Facebook, that your house is a pit and your children are tugging at your sleeve asking to be fed?  My kids tell me that moms are the worst at wasting time on Facebook. They've asked, "Doesn't she have kids to take care of or a job to go to? How can anyone put up status updates every 10 minutes?"
  5. Do you write a paragraph as a status update, complete with correct grammar and punctuation? As far as poor grammar and misspelling, I can't intentionally bring myself to do that. I do admit I used to post chapters on my life on Facebook until my kids told me I needed to write a blog. Now I'm an out-of-control blogger mom.
  6. Do you talk about Facebook when you're not on Facebook? When you get together with your girlfriends, do you talk about the clever posts you just put up and what everyone commented? My kids tell me that what's on Facebook stays on Facebook. Facebook is not the real world world, Mom. Oh.  Didn't know that.
  7. Are you living your life by what your next post is going to be?
  8. Do you get anxious when you haven't been able to check your Facebook for 30 minutes?
  9. Are you disappointed when no one comments on your posts?  And if you do get a lot of comments, do you think of another one right away so you can get the rush of more comments?
  10. Are you a little offended by these questions?
If you've answered yes to any of the above, you may be out of control.  If you answered yes to the first three, your kids and their friends are calling you a Facebook creeper mom. If you answered yes to all of them, you are a Facebook creeper mom who's out of control.

Don't feel too bad, you're not alone. Share this link  We'll start a Moms in Recovery group to join on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment